Viewing Issue Advanced Details
|ID||Category [?]||Severity [?]||Reproducibility||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|06747||Media Support||Major||Always||19 days ago||18 days ago|
|Tester||demotester||View Status||Public||Platform||MAME (Official Binary)|
|Version||0.191||Fixed in Version||0.192GIT||Build||32-bit|
|Summary||06747: einstein: Formatting on double-density drive fails!|
a) Old systems with XtalDOS versions less than 2.x only supports single-sided 40 track drives!
b) New system 5 with XtalDOS 2.x supports single-sided and double-sided 40/80 track drives!
The default set-up under XtalDOS 2.x is for drives 0 and 1 to be single-sided, and drives 2 and 3 to be double-sided (all 40-track)!
(Note: This can be altered as is explained in the Systrem 5 manual, but is not needed for this test.)
c) The System 80 also supports single-sided and double-sided 40/80 tracks drives!
The default set-up is for drives 0 and 1 to be single-sided 40-tracks and drives 2 and 3 to be double-sided 80-tracks!
(Note: This can be altered with "CONFIG" command.)
So here is the list of all possible drive configurations that System 5 and System 80 supports:
Single-Sided, 40-Track (188k) ==> The original 3" drive
Double-Sided, 40-Track (386k)
Single-Sided, 80-Track (386k)
Double-Sided, 80-Track (768k)
In the current MAME/MESS implementation, in the "Machine Configuration" internal menu it is possible to set between Single-Sided or Double-Sided drives!
(all 40-track drives, I guess, so no posibility for 80-track drives)
|Steps To Reproduce||
- Start the einstein driver as "empty".
- In the "Machine Configuration" internal menu set drives 0 and 1 to be single-sided and drives 2 and 3 to be double-sided. (Press F3 key to reset)
- Mount the System 5 (or System 80) into drive 0 and press "LCtrl + LAlt" keys to boot.
- In the internal menu "File manager" create new disc images: for drive 1 (new_40SS.mfm) and for drives 2 (new_40DD.mfm) as read-write images.
- Type BACKUP command (if System 80 see notes below) and choose to format and follow the instructions.
Notes if System 80:
Run the CONFIG and set drives 0/1 to be single-sided 40-track and drives 2/3 to be double-sided 40-track, save the config! (Note: the disc must be in write-supported format)
Type BACK80 and choose to format and follow the instructions.
- First format the drive 1 that is set as single-sided ... formatting and verifying passes!
- Now try to format the drive 2 that is set as double-sided ... after formatting it shows an error on verifying?
- If you exit from the BACKUP program and type: "DIR 1:" it works fine, but type "DIR 2:" and it shows nothing!
(so formatting the drive 2 as double-sided is currently not working)
Btw. In the current swlist there are several files with size="432111" and one with size="435183".
HexEditor says that these disks are 40-track double-sided, but as have all sectors equal on both sides are probably baddump by wrongly using SAMDISK tool settings.
(all can be converted to single-sided and will also work fine)
Now, if mount a such disc into drive 1 set as single-sided and type "DIR 1:" it will show the content, but if you mount into drive 2 set as double-sided and type "DIR 2:" it will not show the content, even the disc is double-sided.
|Affected Sets / Systems||einstein|
|There are no relationsihp linked to this issue.|
19 days ago
|Default for the drives is now 3" single sided for the internal drives and 5.25" 80 tracks double sided for the external drives (matches System 80).|
18 days ago
|Thanks for fixing this! (also note: in current swlist xmaster == system5p)|